clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater

This review will serve for the entire Raven Cycle series.

I had wanted to read this series for a while but had been putting it off. I'd been so let down by a few series lately and I just couldn't take another heartbreak. I've had a lot of audiobook time this year and was in the market for a new one to start and this one was available from my library so I decided to plunge in. Luckly this series brought me out of that slump!

I'll admit that while I really liked the narrator and felt the voice, in general, fit the atmosphere of the setting, it took me a long time to get used to it. It was kind of like listening to Matthew McConaughey half asleep. The speech is slow and drawn out -- and again this fit the setting -- but it was so hard to stay focused sometimes. And I didn't really care for the character voices, especially some of the women. But I was finally able to let go of all that and just focus on the story.

It wasn't a fast-paced series, but I was OK with that because I was most drawn to the characters. They somehow got under my skin and I wanted to remain immersed in their world. To be one of their friends. OK, so maybe one of their mothers since I'm way too old to be in their friend circle ;)

I'm sad it's over, but I'm hopeful the plans for the TV series comes to be. (and that they don't screw it up with bad casting)