clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

Red Queen

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about Red Queen. I had high hopes based on many of the reviews, and I'm wondering if that's what left me a bit ambivalent. On some level, I expected more than what I felt.

One of the primary reasons I didn't connect more with this book was the main character, Mare. She started off strong for me. While she had the expected 'I don't give a shit' attitude found in many similar YA books, I liked how she strove to be independent. I liked the way Mare found her way into the royal circle and how she discovered her abilities. We did see one hint of her ability prior to this (which was good) but I do wish there had been more hints prior. The way it is makes it seem as though it was just dumb luck that her abilities showed up at the right time. But as the story progressed, she became somewhat inconsistent for me. I like when a character grows throughout a book or series, but that's not what happened here. For example, she hated Cal for his role in the death of so many Reds and how he could torture Reds with only the slightest hint of guilt, yet she didn't show much remorse for the deaths she had a hand in or the people she used along the way. It was a classic double-standard -- it's not OK for it to happen to the Reds because they are the oppressed society, but it's totally fine for it to happen to the Silvers because they must all be the same and take from the Reds and abuse them along the way.

I also didn't like how Mare was the girl all the guys fell in love with. That YA trope is starting to get old for me. It just makes the character unrealistic. Someone has to dislike her (other than the jealous girls and the evil mother) so that leaves me as the reader to dislike her. And not for good reasons that make me still enjoy the book.

I have to admit that I looked ahead at the book description for the second and third books of the series. I wish I hadn't done that because it spoiled the twist at the end. Had I not looked ahead, I think I would have been surprised by the twist. So I have to give credit for that being well done.

I liked the book well enough to continue with the series -- hopefully they get better for me or at least stay on the same track as the first book.