clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

You

You: A Novel - Caroline Kepnes

I have to admit that You had me captivated from the first page. This is the first book I’ve read in second person narration; however, I’m aware of it enough to know that it’s difficult to accomplish well. I’m afraid that Kepnes has set the bar pretty high for any future books I might read with this narration style. It was so well done (and I can say this with confidence based on other reviews) and it fits the story perfectly.

I think what I loved most about You was how Kepnes was able to make Joe a sympathetic character. I mean, he’s a stalker and murderer, and yet there were times when I wanted him to win. I wanted him to come out on top. There were times when I felt that Beck was perfect for Joe, and then there were times when I didn’t like her at all. This is the mark of a very well written book - the author was able to make me feel things I didn’t really want to feel.

I have a few petty criticisms that I don't feel compelled to point out, but I will say that I struggled with the crime elements in the book. Joe got away with his crimes with unbelievable ease. It was more than once, and normally this would knock my rating down to at least a 3. However, the rest was so well done that I had to give some allowances for the author’s reliance on fictional freedom.

Another thing I feel compelled to point out - this book has a lot of very graphic sexual language and content. It didn’t bother me, but I know some readers are very put off by this. Just a warning for those who don’t want to read books with this language/content because it’s not obvious from the book’s classification or description.