clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

Me Before You

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

I'm often reluctant to read books that are surrounded by a lot of hype. It raises a certain set of expectations, and too many times (for me) the book ends up falling short. I've heard so many good things about Me Before You, and it sounded like my kind of book -- naturally I was hesitant.

But, oh this book. I connected with it almost instantaneously. It truly gave me all the feels. I laughed out loud, I cried, I was frustrated, I was angry, I was hopeful... and so much more. I couldn't sleep well last night with thoughts of this book and the situations of the characters.

I loved how all the characters were unique with flaws and insecurities. I loved how the relationships evolved and were complex. I loved the way this book forced me to think about the situation of each character and how I would feel in their individual circumstances.

But I think most of all I connected with Lou's fear of failing. Of feeling as though she and her efforts would never be good enough. It's not hard to understand why she is the way she is. Her entire family, including her boyfriend, constantly put her down. It's not done in a malicious way - they just think it's funny. It's clear that they love her, but maybe not enough to love her as much as her sister (parents) or running (boyfriend) or believe that she could be more (all of them). Growing up constantly not feeling good enough will make a person believe that they have no opportunities for anything more in life than what they already have. Lou's relationship with Will allows her to finally see that she can have more, that she can be more. He was the only person who ever told her that he believed in her.

I don't want to say more, because I don't want to spoil anything. Now I can't wait to read the sequel.