clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

Almost

Almost - Anne Eliot

I struggled with the rating and review for this book. I really wanted to love this book. I loved the concept and it sounded so good.

I liked that the book was about someone being almost raped. I do believe that it's something that would mess up the victim in many ways, however I can see that it might be difficult for those around the victim to look at it that way. The worst part didn't happen, right? However, for the victim something tragic still occurred.

I think I may not have been in the right frame of mind to properly 'connect' with the characters. Maybe I was too upset at the parents for not doing more. Maybe I was too upset at the therapist who was obviously not doing his job very well. I mean, I can understand that Jess might not be healed in 3 years, but she should have at least made some progress or find a new doctor.

And yet, as soon as her memories returned fully - she was healed. Over night, literally, she was a completely new person and was ready to move on. Huh? I think this is what got me the most. I knew my lack of connection to the characters was my own fault and not that of the author, so I was holding on to the end to see if it could bring me back in with how Jess was finally able to move on with her life.

I wish that she would have remembered sooner in the book, and then had a more realistic view of her letting go of her anger and fear. Overnight just seemed too... fiction.

The other thing that bothered me was how Jess and her parents and Gray kept referring to not wanting her to remember everything - because they didn't want her to know the worst parts. I mean, it's not like she didn't remember anything. She did remember that she was almost raped. She had snip-its of dreams with a few details. How could that not be the worst? The only thing she didn't really remember was

that Gray was there

(show spoiler)

. I don't know. It just bothered me.

I did like Gray though. Not the name so much - I think for the first two chapters I really thought his name was Gary... but I liked how he stuck by Jess AND by what he believed to be the right thing to do.

I will say that as I started reading, the concept kind of reminded me of Can't Buy Me Love. Down to the character descriptions... just no tribal dance, and of course the reason for the rent-a-boyfriend was much more serious than a stained coat!

(show spoiler)