clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

Cinder

Cinder - Marissa Meyer

Cinder had been on my radar for a long time, and I finally made it a priority on my reading list. I don't normally read about cyborgs, but it was getting such great reviews, and I enjoy unique retellings of the classic fairytales. And that cover! [insert eye-heart emoji]

Let me just say, a sarcastic cyborg Cinderella is a badass Cinderella. I think the thing I loved most about this story was that Cinder was self-sufficient. There was no fairy godmother who came and waved a wand to give her a beautiful dress for the ball with a horse-drawn carriage. Nope - she made it all happen herself, and she arrived in a style that was so fitting to her personality.

I'm interested to see where this series will go. I'm really hoping that the relationship between Cinder and Kai (assuming there will be one) grows out of something of substance. That they get to know each other better in the coming books and the love grows from there. Cinder is too strong of a character to be a victim of an insta-love so strong it makes her risk all, including life, just to be with him. I'm good with the insta-attraction that occurred in this book, I'm just hopeful for a strong build of their relationship going forward.

I listened to this in audiobook and I thought the narrator did a great job. Looking forward to starting the next book in the series!