clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

The Couple Next Door

The Couple Next Door - Shari Lapena

I really wanted to like this book. A couple leaves their 6-month-old baby sleeping at home while they go to a dinner party next door, and she's missing when the couple gets home? Bring it! Unfortunately, I just thought this book was a big mess. I felt like I had been tricked and manipulated the entire book, and I didn't like it.

I get that a physiological thriller is supposed to have shocking twists. That's why I enjoy reading them, after all! But I felt the execution in this book was just poor. It wasn't suspense, just a constant stream of bait-and-switch.

I also hated the way every single chapter ended on some sort of epic cliffhanger. Again, it felt like I was just be toyed with because they weren't actual cliffhangers. The next chapter started right where the previous ended, so it was just baiting me to read the next chapter. If the story is well done, I'm gripped enough to want to read the next chapter without having to have a pound of chocolate dropped in front of me.

There was also the major issue of repetition and redundancy. Ugh.

I know many readers hated the ending. I was so annoyed with this book by then that I really didn't care.