clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Maria Semple

I had seen several comments from various readers/blogs stating that Where'd You Go, Bernadette was laugh-out-loud funny. I was in the mood for a humorous book, and I was hoping it would live up to the hype. Thankfully, I did find this book very entertaining.

I can see where the type of humor in this book would not be for everyone. Bernadette is not only unbelievably quirky, but she is also very snarky. She has an opinion about everyone and everything, and she shares it. Normally, I don't connect with snarky characters. They often come off as snobs, ego maniacs, prejudice, or worse. However, I personally felt Bernadette's 'snarkiness' was well done.

It took me a while to get into the format of this book. It's mostly a series of correspondence (emails, letters, faxes, etc.) between people, peppered with the occasional narration of Bernadette's daughter, Bee. Once I adjusted, the format didn't bother me as much. The ending explains why it is this way, which is great, but it was still a bit of a distraction along the way. Also, I felt the format didn't allow for some closure I felt was important. I don't have to have everything tied up at the end of a book, but there is one particular story arc that I felt should have been given a least a bit of resolution. I think we are supposed to 'read between the lines' based on a few comments made, but I would have liked a bit more.

Bernadette's daughter, Bee, was great as was their relationship. For the most part, I liked the husband, Elgie, and his quirks. At first I was a bit annoyed with the way he ignored some of the issues at home until the triggering moment when he decided something needed to be done. But then I realized much of it fit with his personality. He had disassociated himself with much of the problems they were having at home and got lost in his work. That happens often enough in real life. I just wish certain things had happened a bit differently with him.

There were a few over the top things that kept me just shy of loving this book. But still, super fun and entertaining.