clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

I've Got Your Number

I've Got Your Number - Sophie Kinsella

I’ve Got Your Number is the second book I’ve ready by Sophie Kinsella. The other one I read was one of the Shopaholic books and I wasn’t crazy about it. I did see the movie adaption of Confessions of a Shopaholic and enjoyed that.

I expected this to be a light and fun read, and it delivered perfectly on that expectation. I don’t usually laugh out loud when reading books, but I came close with this one. There were many humorous and endearing parts that created some big smiles and overall enjoyment. I loved the banter between Poppy and Sam and how their relationship developed. I also loved how Poppy internally talked herself out of certain feelings/thoughts.

Although far-reaching, I thought the whole plot concept of Poppy finding a phone that once belonged to Sam’s PA entertaining. It set up for a good story structure for a relationship to build. I also like how it helped Poppy learn that she was making conclusions based only on one point of view, which was often incomplete.

I like when an author takes a risk and tries something new, but I’m not sure the footnotes in this novel worked well. I read it on my Kindle and it showed the footnote at the bottom of the page, so the only downside for me was that it became a bit of a distraction (because I can’t NOT read the footnote). I could see where it might become really annoying in a different format (print or audio). I did like the author’s reasoning for using the footnotes and how it tied in, just not sure this particular experiment worked out as well as maybe intended.

One of the things that bothered me about this book was that Poppy reminded me a lot of the lead character in the Shopaholic series. Having only read one of those books and watched the movie version of another, I had to actually look up the name of the character in the Shopaholic series to see if it was, in fact, the same person (it’s not). The main character in the Shopaholic series grated on my nerves after a bit, so I had been hoping to get someone different. It does make me worry that the same character type is presented throughout all of Kinsella’s books. Not a bad thing if you really like a girl who is overly adorable yet a bit flighty at the same time. I mean, I know Poppy intended well with all her actions, but anyone with a bit of common sense would have to know that her actions were going to have consequences.

The other issue I had was the ending. I was really hoping that Poppy would grow just a bit more than she did. There was growth, but she was still making some really big decisions on partial information and ignoring some glaring red flags (and her gut feelings). I don’t want to say more because of spoilers, but I just wish the ending had been a bit different.

Overall, a very entertaining book.