clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

Shatter Me

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi

Overall I've enjoyed reading outside of my box this past year. I've discovered many books/genres I didn't know I'd enjoy. However, once in a while a book comes along that makes me want to run back inside and lock the door. Unfortunately, Shatter Me was one of those books. It has many good reviews and I liked the premise of the book, so I had high hopes. But no such luck.

I didn't realize it had so much purple prose. I can see in parts where the writing could be beautiful, but it was just way too much. It was distracting, and much of it didn't make sense. By the end of the book I started to believe that the ornate style was really just a way to distract the reader from the plot holes and inconsistencies. I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes throughout much of this book.

And the repetition.

I can't... I can't... I can't... I can't even. Again, when used sparingly I can appreciate the effect of including repetition. But it was used way, way, way too much.

I wanted to scream.

I wanted to stop listening.

I kept going.

The strikethroughs were equally annoying. I listened to this in audiobook and I had to actually pull up the digital sample to confirm that the intent of the sound I heard was meant to be striking text. It was used a lot more than necessary.

When dialogue was used, the story actually flowed fairly well. It might be the only thing that bumped my rating up to 2 rather than 1.

I wanted to stop listening. I actually had to borrow the audiobook a second time because I didn't get through it in the allocated time. But I must be a masochist because I've already downloaded the second audiobook from the library. I can blame this on two things: (1) my annoying need to finish a trilogy once started, and (2) it's not like a have a list of audiobooks I'm clawing my way through. I figure now that I know what to expect, I can ignore most of the narration and just hope the plot actually goes somewhere other than Juliette's obsession love for Adam.