clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

Mr. Mercedes

Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King

I used to read a lot of Stephen King, and in the process became a huge fan. Somewhere along the way I stopped reading - I guess just too many other authors to read as well - and hadn't picked one up until I read 11/22/63. I liked that book OK, but for me it wasn't really the 'classic' King that I grew up on.

I was excited to read Mr. Mercedes. It felt like it would be more like the King I was used to. I enjoyed this book, yet it wasn't really the King I was looking for. I was about 40% through the book and I kept thinking, "When's it gonna get freaky? I mean, this is Steven King. It has to get freaky." But it didn't really get there.

Now, I haven't read ALL of King's books, but I have read several. One of the things I enjoyed most about his books was that supernatural element. Even if there wasn't a straight up element going on (such as in Misery), it had a certain 'feel' to the story. The one that makes the hair on your arms stand up. I didn't get that with Mr. Mercedes.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying King always has to write the same stuff. I actually like when an author branches out a bit. I guess it's just that if this book came to me without an author's name on it, I don't think I would have guessed it was King book.

I thought Hodges was OK as a primary character. He kind of annoyed me with his avoidance of getting the police involved. I get that he wanted Mr. Mercedes, but when there are many other lives at stake it's not about you.

I felt Brady was well represented and was twisted as I would have expected a serial killer to be.

I'm happy that I read it, I guess I wish it just gave me a bit more of that King 'chill' as I was reading it.