clkbooks

Books & Chocolate

Oh, and I love chocolate.

A Highland Knight's Desire

A Highland Knight's Desire (A Highland Dynasty Book) - Amy Jarecki

This is now the second novel I've read by Amy Jarecki, and I think I've found a new 'go-to' author. I've mentioned before that historical romance is not my typical genre, but I do go in spurts where I tend to read several in a row (although not usually Scottish historical romance). Coming off the recent disappointment of The Governess of Highland Hall, I needed this book.

My usual complaint with this genre (and why I stop reading the books) is that they all tend to follow the same blueprint. Just change the names and the setting - otherwise the same books. It gets boring. So far, Jarecki has been able to use the standard outline (romance, villain, misunderstandings, tragic events that bring the hero and heroine together, etc.) yet she is able to infuse unique twists and ways to weave the plot that keep my interest.

And I love that her characters actually communicate with each other most of the time! There can still be conflict with communication, and I like that she recognizes this. I also like how her characters have a life outside of one another.

Back to this specific novel, I really liked Meg and Duncan. I believed in their chemistry and I enjoyed the banter between them. I think there were some 'liberties of fiction' used, especially at the end.

(Like the happy chance that Meg's brother arrived with an army when needed - even though a reason was given, it was unlikely for me. Or when after the battle it was just kind of 'oh, good job, now ignore all the blood and dead bodies and let's get back to eating.')

(show spoiler)

However, it didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the novel.